Othanical

A lowly undergraduate climbing toward the light.

Friday, June 09, 2006

A Fortune

Walking around an enormous campus provides for many exciting moments. If you're not plugged into your iPod or absorbed into your cell phone, it's easy to find something to do while ambulating to your destination. The first thing that I like to do is peoplewatch, specifically people's faces. Students at a university are less stoic than the general population due to their relatively few experiences with adversity. Universities makes sure that their students go through plenty of that.

For me the most fun with peoplewatching is had when someone is walking slowly with the brightest smile on his or her face. Whatever it was that made him or her feel that way, you yourself are glad that it happened to them. Speculation is part of the fun too, perhaps her boyfriend just told her she was beautiful, or she just got that internship that she had been dying for. For that moment, you know that life has been good for her. Inevitably, there will be those trying to hold back tears while conversing with a friend, or while on a cell phone. Life has it's ups and downs and being aware that other human beings experience them too makes life bearable.

Besides people watching, I like to marvel at sheer size of the buildings on campus. Construction makes my eyes light up and my heart beat faster. Each one of the buildings on my campus could easily stand alone as a place of education for about 1,000 people. The idea of attempting to organize air and turn into productive area is quite interesting to me. Even though my training is in biochemistry, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the planners and engineers that make everything around us possible. I almost bow at their feet.

I like the little things too: like the recycling cans in all of their glory right next to trash cans (haha). I like the incredible abundance of mutant squirrels that have evolved a superiority complex, and the mystery animals at night time that are little too large and too fast to be something that would be pretty. By simply walking around, I have fallen in love with my school. I am not complaining about loving my school, but I believe it's just something that I have realized only recently. Everyone should make an effort to love their surroundings, because it makes everything else easier to love too.

1 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Nightowl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this entry - and I too agree the squirrels have a superiority complex.

~Natalie :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home