Othanical

A lowly undergraduate climbing toward the light.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

In thrall to the sirens of July

Every year, July finds some way to pull me outside for most of the day. No matter where I am, if I am indoors, I look outside jealously at the trees wishing I could be like them. The trees laugh at me and say, "We sure don't wish we were you."

Now this is not a product of sunstroke, but a product of my imagination. Of course I don't really hear the trees speaking to me.

My accommodations given to me while I am staying here in Minnesota are great, and I have been loaned a bike to fully immerse myself in the Minnesotan experience. So today I biked a whole hell of a lot. I avoided looking at my huge scar from a bad, bad fall of a bike in April 2000. I think of scars as little wisdom marks. There's a fine line of course, too many and you're just clumsy.

The one thing I love about language are accents. I love almost every variation of English that I hear. And the Minnesotan accent is one that I enjoy hearing. It's mostly a rural thing, so not everyone has it. Disappointing if you ask me. I try to start conversations with people that I have identified as carriers of the accent so that I can bask in the differences blessed upon us by geography. The Minnesotan accent sounds like -- at least to me a Marylander, like they take great care with each vowel that they come across -- so careful that the word itself becomes mainly vowel, and they rush through consonants. It's a stellar experience. Watch Fargo for extreme versions of this accent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home